Last Update: January 23, 2023
You do NOT have to be vaccinated with a Covid vaccine to enter Japan. However, if you have not received three doses of an approved Covid vaccine you must have a negative Covid test before boarding your flight to Japan. The Japanese government “strongly encourages” you to use an app to upload your vax or test status; see our MySOS/Visit Japan Web page for details.
For full details on vaccine requirements, please see the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Covid vaccine page.
For full details on Covid test requirements and formats, please see the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Covid test page.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world